Hi Radu.  I found the MMIX backend to be quite useful.  It's
reasonably small and acceptably up to date.  Keep in mind that the
MMIX is a 64 bit machine though.

The Picochip and ARM are good as well.  The ARM port is very
complicated due to the number of targets that it supports but fairly
clean once you get into it.

-- Michael