On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Jonathan Corbet <cor...@lwn.net> wrote:
> I would not presume to tell the GCC project what its policy should be;
> that's a decision for the people who are doing the work.

Actually it's not. The FSF sets the rules, and you either play along
or you don't do the work (not for the FSF anyway).

But to toss in $0.02 from someone who occasionally does some of the
work: I honestly just don't think of this copyright assignment as a
problem. I have assignments on file for g95 and for gcc, and I
assigned them because it allows me to contribute to a project that
gives me joy and fun (most of the time anyway) and the feeling I am
contributing to something useful for everyone. Every time I see a
device built in part with GCC (android phones, playstations,
Google(!)), I think "hey, some of my work helped build that".

There is so much negativism about a mere nuisance in this thread. It's
a shame, but I guess it's just more proof that negative discussions
about GCC are more popular than positive ones.

Shall we continue hacking now? There's enough to do.

Ciao!
Steven