Robert Grimm wrote:

> Actually, I saw some old posts that talked about a -fno-implicit-fp option

[I know this is a very old post, but I noticed it in old email and felt
it might still be useful to reply.]

CodeSourcery has a -fno-implicit-fp option that does exactly what you
have requested in some of our compilers.  We use this particularly in
the context of VxWorks; on VxWorks, the kernel will only save/restore
floating-point registers across task switches for tasks that are
designated as floating-point tasks.  Therefore, using an FPR in a
non-floating-point task is a bug.

Because there is so much VxWorks code out there that does not use
-msoft-float, it's not practical to require that programmers use
-msoft-float for all files, and then explicitly turn on hard-float for
floating-point tasks.  We offered to contribute this code, but the FSF
GCC maintainers decided not to accept it.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery