Joel Sherrill wrote:

> I know RTEMS users have asked about this option before.
> We have the same problem since we also support floating
> point as an optional task attribute.  On some tasks we implicitly
> make the port force all tasks to have FP contexts.
>
> Why was this rejected and not merged?

You'd have to check the archives.  I think the basic thrust of the
rejection was that the concept was ugly, not that the patch was
technically unsound.  In other words, the objection was to the feature,
not the implementation of that feature.  It is of course a feature much
less valuable on a workstation/server class operating system than on the
VxWorks/RTEMS class of RTOS systems.

Perhaps the idea was that you should just compile files that don't need
floating-point with -msoft-float (or the equivalent for other
architectures).  Of course, that runs into the legacy source code
problem, and also the problem that you can't mix code within a file,
which does sometimes have performance advantages.  (For example, because
calls to static functions need not have the standard ABIs.)

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery