Gabriel Dos Reis <g...@integrable-solutions.net> writes:

> [...]  I do not think so, and I would not suggest that the use of
> C++ is an excuse do ditch the possibility of bootstrapping with
> anything other than GCC.

Right.  It would be good to enumerate any language/design constraints
that other noteworthy C++ compilers would impose on the GCC source
base.  The remaining language feature set could be noted as the "upper
limit" of C++ being adopted.

> As for the subset of C++ to use, yes we need to be conservative. [...]

...  at least at first, as the gcc developer population learns the
language.  Whatever constraints are adopted for purposes of
simplifying the language/system for C-only developers should be
thought of as temporary "lower limits" that accomplish a gentle
introduction.  In the longer run, there may be no reason to hold back
approaching the "upper limit" of the full language, as people learn
and learn to love it.

It may also help the training process to identify not just initial
constraints on the language, but to name those parts of gcc that could
most obviously benefit from C++y abstraction.  These areas should be
enumerated and analyzed by C++-familiar developers, to ensure that the
initial "lower limit" feature set is sufficient to make a dent into
those areas.

- FChE