On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:05 -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 06/07/10 14:31, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > The gcc project currently has a problem: when people who are not
> > regular gcc developers send in a patch, those patches often get
> > dropped.  They get dropped because they do not get reviewed, and they
> > get dropped because after review they do not get committed.  This
> > discourages new developers and it means that the gcc project does not
> > move as fast as it could.
> >

> So perhaps the thing to do is somehow separate patches from regular
> contributors and irregular contributors.  A relatively easy way to do
> this would be for a regular contributor to include a keyword in their
> message to gcc-patches to mark the thread as not needing 3rd party
> tracking/pings.

I am not sure what does that mean in practice. I am only a write after
approval contributor, so I cannot formally approve any patch (except
perhaps to my MELT branch). However, I definitely can follow some
patches (and I even do have an intern, Jeremie Salvucci, who did all the
legal framework and wants to become a GCC contributor).

It seems that perhaps you are suggesting a status in between reviewers &
W.A.A. contributors.

Cheers