On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 11:18 +0200, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:

> >> I don't understand.  WAA rights definitely allow you to shepherd and commit
> >> patches from people without svn access, even for patches you can't approve.
> >
> > And basile (and other WAA contributors), this would a nice
> > contribution. Asking people that do not appear to have access to svn
> > whether you want to commit their patches for them. And keeping them in
>
> It should say: "whether they want you to commit their patches for them."

I thought that for legal reasons, WAA contributors should not commit
code which is not theirs, or on which they did not see the legal
copyright transfer or disclaimer form for the FSF.

Since such legal documents are not public, that restriction means in
practice that I could only reasonably commit only code that either I
have written, or that someone covered by the same legal documents than I
am, have written. For me Basile, the only person in that case I can
think of today is Jeremie Salvucci (my intern) and possibly Marc
Duranton (who started worked at CEA LIST, my employer).

So I don't understand how can I svn-commit code which I don't have
written (or which has not been written by a near colleague covered by
the same legal documents).

Could someone explain what exactly are the rules for committing code?

I probably am understanding them too restrictively.

Cheers.