Hi everyone,

I'm starting to dig a little bit in what gcc does to protect the stack
from overflows and attacks of that kind. I've found some docs and
patches, but they aren't really up to date. I thought I could get some
diffs for the parts that manage these features, to see exactly what
they do and what the changes are between different versions, but I'm
finding really hard to see where exactly I should look, since there's
a lot of work done in plenty different areas.

All this is for a research I'm doing to work on my thesis, and since
the subject is security regarding stack and heap based overflows, if
there's some protection I'm not aware of, I would really appreciate if
someone tells me about it.

Can someone give me any pointers in where to look for this kind of
information? Documentation, directions on where to look in the source
code, anything would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Tomas