On Jun 23, 2010, at 22:53, Tomás Touceda wrote:

> I'm starting to dig a little bit in what gcc does to protect the stack
> from overflows and attacks of that kind. I've found some docs and
> patches, but they aren't really up to date. I thought I could get some
> diffs for the parts that manage these features, to see exactly what
> they do and what the changes are between different versions, but I'm
> finding really hard to see where exactly I should look, since there's
> a lot of work done in plenty different areas.

If you use the Ada front end, use -fstack-check and -gnato, you
should be pretty safe from any of that. Of course, their always
will be ways to shoot yourself in the foot (such as by using
unchecked conversions to turn integers into  pointers and the like),
but it will be hard to accidentally cause any memory overwriting.

  -Geert