Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  So there is now a provenance, which is the point:
> there is a more-or-less real person associated with each contribution.
> I certainly would like the FSF to move to a similar model.

I agree.

I do understand the rationale for the FSF's desire to hold copyright,
and have a paper trail.  But, at this point, I think that's making it
harder to people to participate, and with no real benefit.  The FSF is
clinging to an outmoded policy due to a single occurrence from long ago.
 However, I believe that there is nothing we can do about that; I don't
imagine that this is something on which RMS or the SFLC would likely move.

I think that means that our only pragmatic choice is whether to be an
FSF project or not.  If we don't want that, then, of course, we could
adopt the Linux kernel's rules on contribution instead.  (We'd also give
up any ability to relicense code going forward (e.g., between GPL and
GFDL) since we'd likely have many copyright holders, and no practical
hope of getting them all to agree on any change.)  But, as long as we do
want to be an FSF project, we have to play by the FSF's rules.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery