On 1 July 2010 12:14, Joern Rennecke <amyl...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>> And it should be possible to
>> build the plugin binary for Linux, Window s (native/mingw, not just
>> cygwin) and other major gcc hosts (Mac, BSDs, etc.).  Like it or not, a
>> great deal of cross-compilation embedded development is done using gcc
>> on windows, and it's a shame if something as potentially powerful as
>> gcc plugins is not available to those users.
>
> Well, it's their choice (or their employers/sysadmins), we can't force them
> to switch to a more powerful development platform.  As you said, there are
> a number of major gcc host platforms available, and several elf-based ones
> run on the same hardware as MS windows.

Keeping in mind that there is nothing stopping anyone from designing
and implementing a radically different approach to plugins that
overcomes the limitations of the current one. If such new plugin
architecture were compelling enough, it will be adopted by GCC. We are
definitely not afraid of replacing stuff with better stuff. It just
has to actually be better.

Cheers,

Manuel.