On 06/30/2010 04:21 PM, Jan Hubicka wrote:
>> Long term we could arrange for libbackend.a to become libbackend.dll and
>> have that library be used for plugins.  The existing practice of linking
>> back into the main executable is more or less an efficiency hack that
>> happens to work with ELF.
>
> It also makes WHOPR with -fwhole-program possible on GCC.  If we will want to
> have dynamically linkable backend library, we would need to clean up our
> interfaces quite a lot so frontend does not link into backend other way than
> by
> langhooks. (or make other crosslinking explicit via externally_visible) Not
> that would be a bad thing.  I made absolutely no measurements yet if linking
> frotned into backend improves performance in any sensible way.

For i386-elf (and probably several other important targets) host,
linking the front end and backend together means that libbackend
does not need to be compiled -fPIC which would definitely affect
performance.

For elf host, I think we would have to have a much stronger reason
to split the compiler into a shared library than plugins.

We could perhaps enable it during development to help make sure
that Windows continues to build, but I would hope there would be
enough testers there to let us know quickly if something broke.

r~