Quoting Richard Kenner <ken...@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>:

Could part of the problem here be that RMS's view on "documentation" is
that it's meant to be a creative process, somewhat akin to writing a book,
and that mechanically creating "documentation" will produce something of
much lower quality than what's done by hand?  Back when he and I spoke
regularly, I know that he cared a lot about the "literary" quality of the
documentation and I think that part of this might be due to a "why would
you want to do that anyway?" position on automaticaly-generated stuff.

But even for documentation written by hand, often I find that I'd like to
start out with some comment or example from the actual code.  The GPL / GFDL
dichotomy doesn't allow me to do that, so some documentation just won't get
written.