On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Richard Kenner
<ken...@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>> > Some strong way of addressing the concern that this could be used to make
>> > proprietary front-ends or proprietary back-ends using part of GCC!
>>
>> Why is this case different from the existing llvm-gcc?
>
> It's the question of what one means by "plug-in interface".  If you
> view it as no different from the existing llvm-gcc, then you're
> basically saying we already HAVE a plug-in interface.  So then what are
> we talking about?

Obviously not about the same thing.

llvm-gcc is GCC front ends with LLVM as a back end.

The idea here is clang with GCC as a back end.

And all the concerns you raise are already addressed by the plugin
exception. You're describing a situation that is already not allowed.

Ciao!
Steven