On 02/03/2011 05:10, Jack Howarth wrote:

>    I tried again without --enable-build-with-cxx and it worked. I'll see if I
> can
> reproduce it again with --enable-build-with-cxx.

  Bizarre.  Can't see how that would be related, but you never know what kind
of odd knock-on effects a bug can have...

  If you want to understand in detail the mechanism for dependency tracking in
automake, and the logic behind not having any rules to build the .Plo files,
having them appear as side-effects of a compile, and having to create dummies
first, see:

     http://mad-scientist.net/make/autodep.html

although note that where that recommends using "-include" (under "Avoiding
``No rule to make target ...'' Errors") to ignore would-be errors from trying
to include non-existent files, we use an unprefixed include directive to read
them in our Makefiles, and rely on config.status to generate empty ones first
time round.  I'm not sure why we do that differently.

    cheers,
      DaveK