Bernd Schmidt <ber...@codesourcery.com> writes:

> On 05/05/2011 11:53 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Jon Grant <j...@jguk.org> writes:
>>
>>> Is it expected that more than one -o option should be allowed by GCC
>>> on command line? The later -o option overriding earlier.
>>
>> Yes, this is expected.  Most Unix utilities behave that way: when an
>> option with an argument is specified twice, and it only makes sense to
>> specify it once, then the option argument which comes last is used.
>
> Huh. If you add -E to the command line you get
>
>   cc1: error: output filename specified twice
>
> so we're a little inconsistent here.

Hmmm, you're right.  I tend to think it is a bug to give an error here,
but I don't feel strongly about it.

The difference is that with -E the -o option is passed to cc1, whereas
without it the -o option is passed to the assembler or the linker.  The
GNU assembler and linker both have the usual Unix behaviour of only
using the last -o option.

Ian