Dave Korn wrote, On 07/05/11 16:01:
On 06/05/2011 09:00, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Ian Lance Taylor writes:

The difference is that with -E the -o option is passed to cc1, whereas
without it the -o option is passed to the assembler or the linker.  The
GNU assembler and linker both have the usual Unix behaviour of only
using the last -o option.

Nevertheless it might be a good idea to file a bug for binutils.
Consistency is probably more important, and it helps in case of typos.

   In this case, I don't think consistency should win over maintaining
long-established behaviour.  I'm more inclined to say that cc1 should change
to follow long-established *nix tradition.  (I have absolutely found it useful
on at least one occasion to be able to add a -o option into CFLAGS and know it
would come last on the command-line and win.)

Hello

Would it be useful to have an option to enable warning if there are duplicates?

From my point of view, I feel that not warning duplicates may let mistakes in the way gcc is invoked slip through, e.g. assist tracking down these issues in makefiles.

Best regards, Jon