On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:04:09PM +0700, "C. Bergstr?m" wrote:

> <ignore>
> I can't say I really care about Andy's alleged copyright infringement.
> (My general point on matters like this is litigate or shut up.  We're
> all here to get work done and licensing (licensing trolls and I don't
> mean you) is the single biggest detractor from open source progress I
> know of)

<adage>
"Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me"
</adage>

I think some of us are trying to avoid the latter half of the
adage.

> Andy started the project and at the time of the fork still was the
> majority contributor.

Perhaps, you need to read the Copyright notices in the
trans-*.[ch] files.  It was Paul Brook and Steven Bosscher
who initially wrote the majority of the code that hooked
Andy's parser up to the GCC middle and backend.

cd gcc/fortran
head trans-*.[ch] | grep -A1 Contribu | grep -v "\-\-"
   Contributed by Paul Brook <p...@nowt.org>
   and Steven Bosscher <s.bossc...@student.tudelft.nl>
   Contributed by Paul Brook

   Contributed by Canqun Yang <can...@nudt.edu.cn>

   Contributed by Paul Brook

   Contributed by Paul Brook

   Contributed by Paul Brook

   Contributed by Jakub Jelinek <ja...@redhat.com>

   Contributed by Paul Brook <p...@nowt.org>
   and Steven Bosscher <s.bossc...@student.tudelft.nl>
   Contributed by Paul Brook

   Contributed by Paul Brook <p...@nowt.org>
   and Steven Bosscher <s.bossc...@student.tudelft.nl>
   Contributed by Paul Brook <p...@nowt.org>
   and Steven Bosscher <s.bossc...@student.tudelft.nl>

>  Cut the guy some slack for having a bit of ego
> and wanting to maintain control.  It's been how many years now and still
> too much hard feelings.  I'm biased but it's based on a positive working
> relationship.
> </ignore>

(deleted rant)

> If you have concerns about PathScale email me privately.  My intention
> is to vet the codebase.  Vetting g95 is relatively easy, but there's a
> chasm between it and gfortran I'm trying to map.  If that's successful
> I'd like to figure out if/how PathScale can contribute.  if we continue
> to get much more negatively this early on (I don't care the reason).
> I'll just forget the whole thing.

All of the code in gfortran is assigned to the FSF.  Have you
approached the FSF with a request to dual licenses the code?
There are on the order of 100 contributors listed in the
gcc/fortran/ChangeLog* files.  Are you asking each individual to
re-license his/her contribution to gfortran?

--
Steve