At the last developer's meeting in London, Joseph and I agreed to work
on an architectural definition for GCC.  We now have something that,
while incomplete, should be enough to discuss.

Our main intent is to define new conventions and guidelines that will
simplify GCC development.  The document is organized in three distinct
areas:

1- A high-level overview of the problem, as we see it.  This describes
the different problematic aspects of GCC development and how we think
they should change.  We would like the discussion to start here.
Without consensus on the overall issues, much of the rest becomes
moot.  We think that these issues are very important for the long term
viability of GCC.

2- A set of proposed development conventions.  These are to become
part of the coding guidelines so that new patches are measured against
them.

3- Improvement projects.  These are largely existing projects that we
have organized under a new wiki page.  Most of these projects need
resources to finalize their design, schedule estimates and
implementation.

You will notice that taken together, these projects represent a
massive amount of work.  We will need to prioritize projects and we
are hoping for major institutional contributors to provide resources
to help finish them.  Naturally, the relative importance of these
projects will vary greatly across institutions, so we should find
owners for the more popular ones.

Parts #1 and #2 are to become fixed pages in GCC's home page (perhaps
http://gcc.gnu.org/gccmission.html).  Part #3 is intended to be more
dynamic, so we are hosting it on GCC's wiki.

For the time being, however, it is easier for me to edit the document
online.  The document is at
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1ZfyfkB62EFaR4_g4JKm4--guz3vxm9pciOBziMHTnK4

The improvement projects are at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/ImprovementProjects.  I will link it from the
main wiki index soon.

Please, start reviewing the main document first.  We would like to
reach consensus on the high-level aspects before discussing the
specific projects.

Thanks.

Joseph and Diego.