On 12 December 2011 21:13, Quentin Neill wrote:

> I think an improvement could be made in automated downloading of GCC
> and dependencies (I looked in the wiki and the document and didn't see
> this, but it is worth mentioning).
>
> Any script (and new users as well) must understand which dependencies
> are allowed for which releases, but those dependencies are only
> unambiguously codified in the configure scripts, creating a
> chicken/egg problem - you need to download and configure GCC before
> you can be assured the configure will succeed.

Run contrib/download_prerequisites to fetch gmp, mpfr and mpc. The
other prerequisites are very stable and haven't changed in years, so
the details at http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html apply to
most releases.  That page is included in the source tarball, so the
version in the tarball tells you the prerequisites for the source you
have.