On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis
<g...@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM, David Edelsohn <dje....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovi...@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We would like to start the process to make GCC 4.8 build in C++ mode by
>>> default.
>>>
>>> The mechanics of the change are simple enough.  I volunteer to test changing
>>> the default on all primary targets (assuming I can get them from the GCC
>>> build farm).
>>
>> I appreciate the motivation, but this may cause major problems on
>> non-GNU/Linux platforms.  Testing on all primary targets is not
>> enough.
>>
>> Do you expect GCC to be able to bootstrap starting from a vendor C++
>> compiler or will this require G++?
>
> I would expect that we use C++03, and any C++ compiler.

Yes.  Thus, for stage1 we should force -std=c++03 -pedantic if we
build with GCC to
avoid creep in of GNU features.

Btw, I think we should only start forcing C++ when 1) there is a
branch/patch out
that shows benefit from using C++.  I previously mentioned that I'd like to see
2) a patch that _properly_ wraps a C++ class for consumption by our garbage
collector (thus, not a hack that works for a specific case but infrastructure
that we think will work for _all_ cases, including libstdc++ container use).

So - I'll veto the switch unless I see 1) and 2).  1) and 2) can be combined
by transitioning vec.h to a C++ template class, with proper GC support.
(not sure that I can veto anything - heh)

Thanks,
Richard.