On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Richard Guenther
<richard.guent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis
> <g...@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

>>> I appreciate the motivation, but this may cause major problems on
>>> non-GNU/Linux platforms.  Testing on all primary targets is not
>>> enough.
>>>
>>> Do you expect GCC to be able to bootstrap starting from a vendor C++
>>> compiler or will this require G++?
>>
>> I would expect that we use C++03, and any C++ compiler.
>
> Yes.  Thus, for stage1 we should force -std=c++03 -pedantic if we
> build with GCC to
> avoid creep in of GNU features.

Fully agreed.

> Btw, I think we should only start forcing C++ when 1) there is a
> branch/patch out
> that shows benefit from using C++.  I previously mentioned that I'd like to
> see
> 2) a patch that _properly_ wraps a C++ class for consumption by our garbage
> collector (thus, not a hack that works for a specific case but infrastructure
> that we think will work for _all_ cases, including libstdc++ container use).

I was actually thinking starting with abstractions that do not interact directly
with the memory manager, because I would like us to get our feet wet
before doing the full plunge.  Such a work would be confined to a part of
the compiler (say the C++ front-end).  Any particular reason you would
like to start
with the garbage collector which touches just about anything?

-- Gaby