On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cyg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 16:06, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cyg...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>  Your argument makes no sense.
>>
>> Do you think that assertion makes sens when no evidence is
>> provided to support it?
>
>  My assertion was backed up by the sentences immediately after it, you can't
> just take it out of context and expect it to stand by yourself.  Here's the
> evidence coming up right now:
>
>>> You said that there was a problem because
>>> people will expect numbered -W options to be ordinal.
>>
>> What is nonsensical there?
>
>  Well stop interrupting and let me finish!  The very next sentence points out
> what is nonsensical about your statement:
>
>>> But they *are* ordinal.
>>
>> Now?  What is the order?
>
>  Zero, then one, then two, then three.  Are we having a language difficulty
> here?  You can't really be asking me what the ordinal sequence of the
> integers is.

I keep talking about useful *warnings*, you keep talking about *numbers*.

>>>  So people's expectations will be correct.  You haven't said anything about
>>> where the problem is yet, you've just asserted that there will be one
>>> without
>>> demonstration or evidence, so again I ask: What's the problem?
>>
>> You said the greater the number the more warnings you get, but you did not
>> show that would happen, so you have not shown that would necessarily happen.
>> What is nonsensical there?
>
>  You appear to have forgotten what we're talking about, so let me remind you:

I did not forget about it, if you had a doubt.

I have given up on touching -Wall in any menaingful way
(either turning it on by default or moving warnings out of it, e.g.
-Wununsed).  Other useful warnings are left out of this scheme

>  There will be more warnings the greater the number because that is how it
> was defined to work.  The "default" will be the suggestion we've been
> discussing so far, i.e. effectively -Wall with a few of the less useful
> warnings removed.
>
>>>  It works just fine for -O,
>>
>> Exactly what happens with -O?  -On does not necessarily
>> generate faster or better code when n is higher.
>
>  Exactly, just like how it would be with warnings.

If you agree with that, then that is even more reason I am not convinced
by the scheme.  I would rather see a scheme that gives more useful warnings
than just cranking up warnings, just any warning to get higher number.
 I suspect
that is the real issue, not language issue.

>  -On when n is higher uses
> more optimisations, some of which may be problematic - we're warned that -O3
> may be unstable, and similarly -W3 may turn on warnings that are more of a
> hinderance than a help.

yes, I am unkeen on repeating that.