On 13 April 2012 00:17, Gabriel Dos Reis <g...@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
> <lopeziba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 April 2012 23:54, Gabriel Dos Reis <g...@integrable-solutions.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I suspect decisions will be based on the implementations themselves.
>>>

>> So given your ideal implementation, if the user-visible result was
>> exactly like the one in Clang, will you be happy with any of the three
>> things: ranges, color and fix-it hints?
>
> My ideal isn't to replicate Clang :-)
>
> I would like us to set a standard that Clang would have to follow :-)
> There are several things that need to be considered.
> The three items above are choices in the toolset.  Ideally, I would
> like to have a mechanism where the output could be configured
> (through a command line switch, etc) that allows for example IDEs
> (not just GNU Emacs) to hook into databases of advices, standard
> definitions, etc.  Even for our own testsuites, this might be useful
> instead of the current one-dimensional char sequence
> oriented diagnostic testing.

That sounds nice. Are you working on this on a branch? I hope you
manage to finish it for GCC 4.8.

I would like to have color output. And since nobody is paying me to do
this work, I'd rather work on what I would like to have. The question
is whether this is something that GCC wants to have.

If the answer is NO, that is fine, I will have more free time.

If the answer is yes but the implementation has to autodetect low
contrast settings / read colors from a configuration file / allow
users to input colors in their own language, then thanks but no
thanks, I'll choose my free time.

If it is ok that the implementation works like grep's, then I may try
to find some free time to give it a try, since the probability that
some new contributor will implement it instead of just using Clang
gets closer to zero as time goes by.

Cheers,

Manuel.