On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
<lopeziba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 April 2012 05:36, Gabriel Dos Reis <g...@integrable-solutions.net>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
>> <lopeziba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I find the color output of Clang just beautiful and, in my opinion,
>>> color support in GCC would make it a bit more beautiful and attract
>>> new users, so it is a much better use of developer's time than fixing
>>> yet another obscure diagnostic issue that only triggers with a careful
>>> ad-hoc example. That said, I do really think you are free to work on
>>> what interests you, so I hope to see your patches fixing diagnostics
>>> issues soon.
>>
>> Is this the kind of protracted passive-aggressive opinion you were looking
>> for?
>
> I think my words above should be read in their own context, where
> their true meaning can be fully appreciated. Then, one may be able to
> appreciate that:
>
> * Saying "I don't think X is important, so I am against it and you
> should spend your free time in Y." and "Of course, you are free to
> spend your time in whatever you want." is not logically consistent.
> The only choices offered are Y or nothing.
>
> * A real choice is offered by the paragraph above which changes the
> statement to "I don't think X is important, and you should use spend
> your free time on Y, but I am not against Y, so patches welcome."
>
> * In the paragraph above, you also seem to have missed the irony that
> the example I chose as "not important" are small diagnostic issues, on
> which I (among very very few) have spent significant effort in the
> recent years. I was hoping that this irony would help the reader to
> understand that the example is not meant to be taken seriously, and it
> is only there to demonstrate the previous logical inconsistency.
>
> But my writing skills are still as poor as always, since it seems I am
> having trouble making myself understood by some. So if you still
> didn't get my point above, I am unable to explain myself in better
> terms. Thus, let's forget about this and focus on the issue at hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Manuel.

If you believe people miss your use of irony, then it is up to you to decide how
to effectively get your points through effectively -- I am just not sure
blaming people for missing your use of irony is effective.

If this passive-aggressive strategy was the first or second time, I would
not mind -- in fact, I was hoping you would get tired of it yourself.

So, yes just to straight to the points.

-- Gaby