Hi,

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Caroline Tice <cmt...@google.com> wrote:
> > Ian Tayler (in private communication) asked that I get the part of the
> > build log that shows the .so and .a files being built and send it to
> > the list.  Here it is.
>
> I see the problem.  libstdc++/libsupc++/Makefile.am overrides the
> default CXXLINK to invoke libtool with --tag disable-shared.  Your new
> shared libraries have only C input files, so they are being linked
> with CXXLINK, they are being linked with LINK.  You need to override
> the default value of LINK.

Actually her Makefile.am contains C++ sources:

! vtv_init_sources = \
!       vtv_init.cc
!
! vtv_stubs_sources = \
!       vtv_stubs.cc

which should be enough to make it use CXXLINK, but her Makefile.in
contains:

+ libvtv_init_la_LIBADD =
+ libvtv_init_la_SOURCES = vtv_init.c
+ libvtv_init_la_OBJECTS = vtv_init.lo
+ libvtv_stubs_la_LIBADD =
+ libvtv_stubs_la_SOURCES = vtv_stubs.c
+ libvtv_stubs_la_OBJECTS = vtv_stubs.lo
! SOURCES = $(libsupc___la_SOURCES) $(libsupc__convenience_la_SOURCES) \
!       libvtv_init.c libvtv_stubs.c

... but then still ...

! vtv_init_sources = \
!       vtv_init.cc
!
! vtv_stubs_sources = \
!       vtv_stubs.cc

So, the first hunk of Makefile.in contains references to .c files.
Caroline: did you edit Makefile.in yourself?  Otherwise I don't see how
this file could have been generated by automake with this inconsistent use
of .c/.cc.  Or maybe you have still .c sources lying around in your
source tree?

Ciao,
Michael.