On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:24:40AM -0800, Lawrence Crowl wrote:
[....]
> >> All of these functions come in two forms.
> >>
> >>      function (FILE *, item_to_dump, formatting)
> >>      function (item_to_dump, formatting)

Since we have switched to C++, it would be really nice to have dump functions
writing to a C++ std::ostream

Plugins would be very happy if the output stream was a C++ one (at least MELT
certainly will be happy).
Otherwise, they may spend a lot of boring effort to make that happen
(and fmemopen is less standard than std::ostream).

So please, let's dump to some std::ostream; it is much easy to use other
streams
(e.g. ostringstream-s) for other purposes (I am guessing that every language
binding
to plugins -we have MELT, Python, Lua, already....) will be really happy to at
least be able to output to some memory buffer (and with ostream-s, we have much
more).

Ideally, we could have some default formatting and even get some operator <<

Cheers.