On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Richard Kenner
<ken...@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>> And restricting writers, may result in the loss of contributors in the
>> medium/long term.
>
> We have a lot of things we do that "restrict" writers.  We insist that
> patches be tested.  We insist that coding standards be followed.  We
> insist that good documentation practices be applied. We don't allow certain
> changes at certain times in the process.  Etc.

No.  You are confusing artificial restrictions with QOI.  Coding and
testing standards are paramount for the long term viability of the
project.

> Are there really people who are disciplined enough to follow those rules
> who can't or won't follow a "text-only" rule?

It's not that they *cannot* follow an arbitrary rule.  It is that the
rule bears no relation with the quality of their work, so they see it
as an artificial roadblock which merely irritates them.  Add enough
irritants and they may decide to take their contributions elsewhere.

Diego.