On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Jeff Law <l...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/12/13 01:27, Eric Botcazou wrote:
>>>
>>>  From what I can see, bootstrapping with Ada is slower than bootstapping
>>> with Java, by around 15%.  Again this is on one of my slower boxes, but
>>> the results clearly show building Ada & its runtime takes a considerable
>>> amount of time:
>>>
>>> default languages:    67 minutes
>>> default - java:       51 minutes
>>> default - java + go:  56 minutes
>>> default - java + ada: 77 minutes
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Hard to justify switching from Java to Ada given those results if one of
>>> the key goals is to reduce waiting time.
>
> Not sure what happened yesterday with the 77 minute timing.
>
> Across 10 runs we came in right at 70 minutes with the usual ~20 second
> variance.  So it's slightly slower than the default languages right now.
> That doesn't help the cycle time for developers which was the major point
> for me.
>
> Given the problems Ian outlined around adding Go to the default languages
> and the build time issues with using Ada instead of Java, I'm unsure how
> best to proceed.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if we just remove Java from the default languages
> during stage1, but add it back when we leave stage1.
>
> Similarly I think we should add Go  to the default languages when we leave
> stage1.
>
> As for Ada, I'm wondering if we should add it into the default languages,
> but not require it for the bootstrap/regression test cycle during stage1,
> but require it as we leave stage1.  Thus, if a developer has Ada installed,
> it'll build & test by default.
>
> And, yes I'm aware of the wonderful irony that I'm debugging a bootstrap
> problem with Ada related to my recent work :-)
>
> Thoughts on the updated proposal?

Well, I'm thinking that waiting time is not so much of an issue (you
can interleave other work).  People not testing all languages and
breaking bootstrap for others is the problem (that includes dropping
in not tested libgo updates - a reason why I never enable go).

So I'd rather make --enable-languages=all do what it suggests,
enable all languages (minus disabling unsupported ones, even
due to missing host requirements like an Ada compiler).

Cutting back on libjava for example by not building all its optional
and compile-time detected features by default (we use --disable-awt at SUSE
for example), including not building the static libgcj at all and
eventually not building multilibs (make sure to not break multilib testing)
is still appreciated.

Note that the building of libjava itself is 99% of the testing coverage
we get for the bytecode compiler ...

Richard.