On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:22:07AM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
> I'm somewhat missing the point of backporting z13 support.  ppc64le
> enablement was a different story (IBM basically saying ppc64-linux
> is dead), but surely all z13 machines can run non-z13 code just fine.
>
> s390x-linux-gnu is a secondary platform so I don't think we'd want
> to destabilize it (esp. on the 4.8 branch where I expect only one
> more release around the end of June with no chance to fix things up).
>
> So that's a "no" from me basically.  But I'm willing to be convinced
> otherwise (not having looked into the z13 backend patches at all).

Yeah, agreed, I'd find that too risky and the 35 alternatives thing (and
other generic code changes) make it even less desirable.
Say on i?86/x86_64 new ISA additions weren't backported to release branches
either, on other branches too.  ppc64le has been indeed an exception, and
the power8 enablement (as opposed to just le enablement) has been backported
primarily because ppc64le states that power8 is the minimum supported
architecture.

        Jakub