>> To be clear, wouldn't asm("":) have the same effect?
>
> That does not matter.  It'd require source-code changes to
> users' code.

My suggestion was to allow the exception to the "basic asm in a function" warning, but change the docs to show using the new syntax. This does not require any user code change. But it kinda does matter whether or not it will work.

Copy/pasting my suggestion:

1) Change the docs to say asm("":), so future coders will do "the right thing."
2) Allow the exception for v6.
3) Re-evaluate if-and-when we continue with the deprecation process.

It may not be clear from this, but I don't expect step 3 to happen until at least v7.

And saying "the right thing" may be a bit flip. But if deprecating basic asm is the path we are choosing, then telling users to use this syntax is how the text should read. Assuming it works.

The oldest docs I can find are 2.95.3, and they talk about the extended asm syntax, so I assume so: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_4.html#SEC93

> Either way, we promised 'asm("")'.  I'm pretty
> sure the empty string is identifiable.

It is.  I've already updated my code to support this exception.

dw