> I'm currently waiting on approval from my employer before I move ahead
   with anything

My employer has given me the okay to contribute to gcc, provided that I
follow some fairly straightforward rules. Most of these things are given,
such as "don't contribute to gcc while at work", "don't put work code in your
contributions or vice versa", etc. Of course, my company needs to make it
clear that I understand these rules before I'm given a green light.
> Note also that if you want to learn the process, small patches do not need
   any legal papers

I'm going to start with a few minor patches, which I refrained from until I
they gave approval, and then move up in the world.
> You can coordinate with me about front end changes.

I am hoping you mean compiler front-end (i.e. syntax, semantic, static
analysis, etc.), rather than application front-end (flags, etc.), as
the compiler
front-end is the section I'm most interested in contributing to.
> To incorporate the checks into GCC would probably involve changes to ...
   the C++ library

I'm also happy to contribute to both an improved C++ Standard Library and
stdlibc++, but don't want to spread myself too thin (I'm gearing my career for
compiler development, and thus would like to work on the front-end a little
more). Would it be better to work on this before, after, or in parallel with the
front-end?

I can only spend around six hours per week on gcc, so working out where to
spend my time early on is paramount to my commitment. As I'm new to open
source contributions, I'm happy to seek advice from more experienced team
members.
> Currently yes, but it was supposed to be released as open source.
> Some of the C++ Core Guidelines checks are already implemented in
   clang-tidy:

Does this mean that in your opinion, we (mostly me) should contribute to
one of those projects instead, or are they just cool projects to watch?
Again, fairly I'm new, so direction regarding which project to join is
welcome, particularly if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers,

Chris