It took some time to get know using GDB, but upto some end I got it to
work. The enum real_value_class is used to classify the number into
zero, normal, infinity and NaN.
This class is represented by r->cl in real_value and values in struct
real_value are used as flags or representations while string to real
conversion (real_from_string) in real.c and other functions. The
decimal/hex string value is converted into real in real_from_string
function with byte-byte comparison which also include mpfr. (Correct
me if I am wrong.) What is the significance of mpfr related to these
internal representations?
Thanks.

-Tejas