On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, Tejas Joshi wrote:

> function with byte-byte comparison which also include mpfr. (Correct
> me if I am wrong.) What is the significance of mpfr related to these
> internal representations?

real.c provides a fixed-size representation of floating-point numbers that
allows for various non-IEEE formats supported by GCC, and also allows
functions from dfp.c to be used for decimal floating-point formats.

MPFR is used in GCC to provide operations that are nontrivial to
implement, especially those that are nontrivial to implement in such a
fixed-size context.  real.c operations wrap around MPFR ones where
appropriate, doing whatever's needed in cases where there are non-IEEE
semantics or sets of values.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com