> On Nov 25, 2019, at 7:07 PM, Joseph Myers <jos...@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>
> I'm looking at the sets of branches and tags resulting from a GCC
> repository conversion with reposurgeon.
>
> 1. I see 227 branches (and one tag) with names like
> cxx0x-concepts-branch-deleted-r131428-1 (this is out of 780 branches in
> total in a conversion of GCC history as of a few days ago).  Can we tell
> reposurgeon not to create such branches (and tags)?  I can't simply do
> "branch /-deleted-r/ delete" because that command doesn't take a regular
> expression.
>
> 2. gcc.lift has a series of "tag <something> delete" commands, generally
> deleting tags that aren't official GCC releases or prereleases (many of
> which were artifacts of how creating such tags was necessary to track
> merges in the CVS and older SVN era).  But some such commands are
> mysteriously failing to work.  For example I see
>
> tag /ZLIB_/ delete
> reposurgeon: no tags matching /ZLIB_/
>
> but there are tags ZLIB_1_1_3, ZLIB_1_1_4, ZLIB_1_2_1, ZLIB_1_2_3 left
> after the conversion.  This isn't just an issue with regular expressions;
> I also see e.g.
>
> tag apple/ppc-import-20040330 delete
> reposurgeon: no tags matching apple/ppc-import-20040330
>
> and again that tag exists after the conversion.

IMO, we should aim to convert complete SVN history frozen at a specific point.
So that if we don't want to convert some of the branches or tags to git, then
we should delete them from SVN repository before conversion.

Otherwise it will (a) complicate comparison or repos converted by different
tools, and (b) will require us to remember why parts of SVN history were not
converted to git.

My conversion at https://git.linaro.org/people/maxim-kuvyrkov/gcc-pretty.git/
contains all branches and tags present in current SVN repo.

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
https://www.linaro.org