On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 01:59:58PM +0000, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
> I think the linux rule (the whole line, not including the parts that are
> removed on commit, should not exceed 75 characters) is far more sensible
> - which is why this draft states this.

FWIW, on a slightly older kernel tree:

$ git log --oneline --format=%s|awk '{print length}'|sort -n|uniq -c|sort -r
-n|head -10
  25059 50
  24872 49
  24563 47
  24547 48
  24261 51
  24050 52
  23773 53
  23527 46
  23231 54
  22907 45

On git.git:
$ git log --oneline --format=%s|awk '{print length}'|sort -n|uniq -c|sort -r
-n|head -10
   1694 50
   1657 49
   1649 44
   1623 46
   1621 48
   1606 43
   1579 45
   1558 47
   1544 51
   1499 37

Sometimes longer subject lines are unavoidable.  Most of the time they
can be pretty easily avoided, and they hurt usability.  It is okay to
spend a few minutes on it, think of the thousands of people who will
later read it.

Segher