On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 15:18 -0600, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 01:24:04PM -0700, Jeff Law wrote:
> > ANd yes, even though I have been a regular ChangeLog user, I rely more
> > and more on the git log these days.
>
> As a reviewer, the changelog is priceless still.  We shouldn't drop the
> changelog before people write *good* commit messages (and we are still
> quite far from that goal).
I believe the current proposal is not to switch immediately, but to do
so after gcc-10 is released.  Feel free to suggest improvements to
ChangeLogs or summaries in the mean time to get folks to start
rethinking what they write in 'em.

And FWIW, we're talking about the ChangeLog *file* here.  If folks
continued writing the same log messages and put them into git, I
personally think that's sufficient to transition away from having a
ChangeLog file in the source tree.

I don't want to make perfect the enemy of the very very good here and
moving away from a ChangeLog file in the source tree is, IMHO, very
very good.

jeff