On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 14:01, Richard Biener wrote:
> So do you have a script that takes a commit with a ChangeLog at its end
> and populates the appropriate ChangeLog files?  I'm trying to come up with
> one to make the process less manual ... it's definitely a part that requires
> more typing compared to svn.  ChangeLog file populating could be even
> done on the server-side I guess (and not appropriately formatted logs
> for the extraction/moving process rejected).

I have a script that does the opposite, which I've been using for
years. I edit the ChangeLog files as before, and a Git
prepare-commit-msg hook extracts the top changelog entry from each
file in the commit and pre-populates my commit msg with those entries.

To use it just put the two prepare-commit-msg* files from
https://gitlab.com/miscripts/miscripts/-/tree/master/gcc into your
$GCC_SRC/.git/hooks directory.