Hi -

> [...]
>  I am fairly sure it breaks `git am' too, requiring a `From' override in
> the change description for author attribution in patch application to work
> reliably (I tend to work on my outbox when applying my own patches, so I
> avoid this issue, but I am sure the issue will hit someone sooner or
> later).

That part is at least pretty easy: use
  git format-patch --from "Real Name git <y...@email.com>"
which will then force a second fake From: header into the body of
the commit email, where git-am can find it.

> This is all silly, requiring the SMTP envelope sender to match the `From'
> header breaks even the most basic e-mail mechanisms like the use of a
> `.forward' file.  [...]

Unfortunately naive .forward based forwarding looks exactly like faked
or spam email to a third party MTAs.

> How come the Linux kernel people who do e-mail patch management on a
> vastly larger scale than we do, both in terms of traffic and the
> number of mailing list subscribers, can get away without all these
> odd quirks in their list server management?  [...]

I'm not sure, but their mails tend to be laden with a vast number of
Cc:'s, which bypass mailing list reflectors.

- FChE