>>>>> "Jonathan" == Jonathan Wakely via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:

[gerrit]
Jonathan> I think it also only very recently gained the ability to group a
Jonathan> series of patches together, as it wants a single commit per review.

We tried gerrit for gdb for a while, and in the end decided to drop it.

The main issue for us is that gerrit's support for patch series is poor.
In particular, it doesn't have any way to provide a cover letter (like
git send-email --compose), but in gdb we rely on these to provide an
introduction to the series -- to help justify the series overall and
orient the reviewers.

Here's the gerrit bug:

    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=924

Based on this I think we all assumed that the situation wouldn't
improve.

Also, gerrit was pretty bad about threading messages, so it became quite
hard to follow progress in email (but following all patches in the web
interface is very difficult, a problem shared by all these web UIs).

Phabricator, IME, is even worse.  Last I used it, it had extremely bad
support for patch series, to the extent that Mozilla had to write a tool
wrapping Phabricator to make it workable.

In gdb we've also considered using an updated patchworks -- with a
gerrit-like commit hook it would be possible to automatically close
patches when they land, which is patchworks' biggest weakness.  (In gdb
land we're more concerned with tracking unreviewed patches than with
online patch review.)  However, this probably would not be a good match
for the new From munging, because it would mean extra (forgettable)
steps when trying to apply patches from the patchworks repository.

TL;DR we're doomed,
Tom