On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 23:39, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2020, 21:57 Freddie Chopin, <freddie_cho...@op.pl> wrote:
> > Anyway... If you have to recompile the toolchain, the problem is still
> > there. Most of the people (like 99,666%) will not do that for various
> > reasons. Some don't know how, some use only Windows, some don't have
> > time to deal with the compilation (the whole toolchain takes around an
> > hour here, but this excludes the time to prepare the script that builds
> > it), some other consider the toolchain provided by MCU vendor (or by
> > ARM) as "tested to work correctly" so they don't want to replace that
> > with their custom built solution, and so on, and so on...
>
> There is no one-size-fits-all solution that gives everybody their
> ideal set of defaults, so we provide configuration options to tune
> things for your needs. Complaining that you have to rebuild things to
> get different defaults seems silly. Would you prefer we don't offer
> the options at all?

And I also never said that every user should rebuild the toolchain.
The options can be used by vendors providing a toolchain for their
hardware, if the verbose handler (or exceptions in general!) are not
appropriate for their users. Just because something isn't the default,
doesn't mean every user needs to change it themselves.

And if writing a script and waiting an hour is too much effort to
reduce unwanted overhead, then I guess that overhead isn't such a big
deal anyway.