On 5/30/20 11:38 PM, Jakub Jelinek via Gcc wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 09:35:05PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 21:09, Harald Anlauf <anl...@gmx.de> wrote:

Dear experts,

let's assume I need to backport a series of commits on master to a release
branch.
In the release branch, this series of commits should become a single commit.

With bare git, there is "cherry-pick -n" that seems to be applicable.

What is the right way to do it for gcc?

I do it with cherry-pick -n.

Or you can cherry-pick each one, then do git rebase --interactive to
squash them all into one.

I guess another question is what will Martin's gcc-changelog script do with
that, but there is a way to invoke it and ask what it would add.

        Jakub

For now, I would recommend doing 1:1 backports. Otherwise, you'll need to merge
all ChangeLog entries in a format the server hook accepts. That can require some
work.

Martin