Nathan,

I think you identify an important problem of gender imbalance in our
community.  It is quite likely that finding ways to make our community
more welcoming to demographic groups that are currently less present
than in the distribution in the global population could reduce this
imbalance.

However, your diagnosis as to the supposed cause of the problem makes no
sense to me.  You said yourself that Stallman has not participated in
our community for decades.  Much as I know, his very hands-off influence
in the SC has been mostly limited to licensing and strategic issues,
e.g. the GPLv3 and Runtime Exception relicensing, to ensure copyleft
defenses were in place to avoid abuse of such features as plugins.

It may be very convenient to paint a boogey-man and expel it because
that became fashionable.  But sacrificing a goat or a lamb does not
expiate our own sins, and expelling someone who hasn't even been present
in the community can't be expected to make any real difference to that
matter; it would rather make us seem *less* welcoming and more
intolerant, and suggest other motivations for the move.

Let's be real and honest, when was the last time anyone in the GCC
community was called out for sexist behavior?  When was there even
conversation about it, and about how sexist behavior is not acceptable
and not to be accepted among participants in the GCC community?  What
was our latest collective action to promote e.g. gender equity within
the community?

If we were to shift our collective blame over this very real and
undesirable problem to someone who has any direct authority over the
project, why not suggesting expelling e.g. the entire Steering Committee
for its evident failure to address the problem?  (I don't think it's a
good idea, but that would be the first thing to try if we were to blame
"management"/"leadership" rather than ourselves for it)

What could support any rational belief that having RMS one extra level
removed from our technical community would bring about anything
resembling a solution to the very undesirable and unjust gender
imbalance you've correctly identified?

The action you propose, besides the absence of effect in making our
community actually more welcoming, because he's already absent, would
send the opposite of a welcoming signal to people with controversial or
impopular opinions, to people at a certain spot in the neurodiversity
spectrum, and to many others who oppose this sort of mob rule.

How about we set out to take individual and collective actions that
actually address the problem *in* our community?  We don't need anyone's
approval to call out sexist acts, nor to invite and train people with an
interest in compiler technology, nor to maintain a welcoming atmosphere.

A regime of terror to maintain a false appearance of a welcoming
atmosphere won't get us there.

If we undertake such actions, individually or collecetively, you might
be surprised (but I won't be) that he, even absent from the community,
would support these actions, which is the very opposite of the picture
you paint.

Our taking effective action on our own would help show what the real
issues and intents are, and it would tell apart those who are really
interested in solving the gender imbalance and the social injustices
causing it, like you and me, from those who are abusing that flag as a
trojan horse to serve nefarious purposes, as suggested and illustrated
in https://ultralux97.medium.com/stallman-must-be-removed-a3061b09fb22

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker  https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist         GNU Toolchain Engineer