On Wed Apr 14, 2021 at 3:57 PM BST, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 15:49, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> > > That would have banned the whole discussion about the potential
> > > fork from the start.
> >
> > No, because once again, I raised the topic of a fork because I do not
> > feel that association with GNU or FSF benefits the GCC project. I did
> > not say "we have to cancel them because I don't like their politics"
> > (as it happens, I do like their politics, which is why I've spent two
> > decades writing copyleft code for GCC, I just think they have failed
> > to evolve and are sadly irrelevant today).
>
> And "the leader of the project had some good ideas but has terrible
> leadership skills" is also not political. It's a valid criticism of a
> project that we are nominally supposed to be part of.
>
> I don't have more "technical" reason because GNU isn't a "technical"
> project, it's a political/philosophical one. The FSF even more so.
>
> And I don't need anybody's consensus to create a fork. Somebody
> doesn't understand how free software works.

Nobody said that you need a consensus to create a fork. The intent of
making a proposal to a community mailing list, however, is generally to
persuade and/or measure public opinion (i.e. gather consensus). In this
case, creating a fork risks splitting the community and the contributors
between two projects -- maybe that's a good thing, though apparently not
for the gfortran developer who's saying it would kill his project.

If RMS's leadership has had a tangible and measurable negative effect on
GCC, that would probably have been the place to open your argument, not
with media hit pieces and a mostly-debunked letter which have nothing to
do with the project.

Turning high-level code into machine code isn't political, it's technical.
The only political aspect is free software, which unless something has
massively changed in the last few days, RMS & FSF both support.