On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 21:40, Ian Lance Taylor via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 9:08 AM Jeff Law via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > once or twice when physical violence with threatened, but that's about
> > it (aside from spammers).  I don't think we want to get too deep into
> > moderation and the like -- IMHO it should be an extremely rare event.
> > As much as I disagree with some of the comments that have been made I
> > don't think they've risen to the level of wanting/needing to ban those
> > individuals from posting.
>
> I think it's useful to observe that there are a reasonable number of
> people who will refuse to participate in a project in which the
> mailing list has regular personal attacks and other kinds of abusive
> behavior.  I know this because I've spoken with such people myself.
> They simply say "that project is not for me" and move on.

As a single data point, I used to contribute somewhat to gcc
(libstdc++ specifically) -- I did a bunch of work implementing bits of
TR1 and C++03. I found the "GCC community" an unpleasant place to be
(there were many nice individual nice people), and didn't enjoy being
involved. I just moved on to work on several other, open-source
non-GNU projects, which I have been happily contributing to for the
last 10 years or so.

Chris Jefferson