On 4/14/2021 10:55 AM, Christopher Dimech wrote:
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 4:35 AM
From: "Toon Moene" <t...@moene.org>
To: "Jeff Law" <jeffreya...@gmail.com>, "Richard Biener" <richard.guent...@gmail.com>, "Jonathan Wakely"
<jwakely....@gmail.com>, "Jonathan Wakely via Gcc" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, "Thomas Koenig" <tkoe...@netcologne.de>
Subject: Re: GCC association with the FSF

On 4/14/21 6:18 PM, Jeff Law via Gcc wrote:

On 4/14/2021 6:08 AM, Richard Biener via Gcc wrote:
On April 14, 2021 12:19:16 PM GMT+02:00, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
N.B. Jeff is no longer @redhat.com so I've changed the CC
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 11:03, Thomas Koenig <tkoe...@netcologne.de>
wrote:
- All gfortran developers move to the new branch.  This will not
     happen, I can guarantee you that.
This is the part I'm curious about (the rest is obvious, it follows
>from there being finite resources and the nature of any fork). But I'm
not going to press for reasons.
Note the only viable fork will be on the current hosting (which isn't
FSF controlled) with the downside of eventually losing the gcc.gnu.org
DNS and thus a need to "switch" to a sourceware.org name.
I strongly suspect you're right here.  Ultimately if one fork reaches
critical mass, then it survives and the other dies.  That's a function
of the developer community.   Right now I don't see the nightmare
scenario of both forks being viable playing out -- however I'm more
concerned now than I was before due Thomas's comments.
When plans for the EGCS were underway, and the (then) Fortran supporters
were into the plans, it scared the hell out of me, because it was
completely unclear to me where it would end.

But in the end: I am a supporter of Free Software, not a organization,
or a person, but *developers* who support Free Software.

That's what got me to go for the fork of EGCS - and I have not been
disappointed.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: t...@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
The two projects once again united because multiple forks are proved to be

Umm, no.  The projects re-united because the FSF fork wasn't viable and we structured EGCS so that if it was successful it could supplant the FSF fork.  Toon, myself and others were part of that process.

jeff