Paul Koning via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>:
> > On Apr 14, 2021, at 4:39 PM, Ian Lance Taylor via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> > wrote:
> > So we don't get the choice between "everyone is welcome" and "some
> > people are kicked off the list."  We get the choice between "some
> > people decline to participate because it is unpleasant" and "some
> > people are kicked off the list."
> >
> > Given the choice of which group of people are going to participate and
> > which group are not, which group do we want?
>
> My answer is "it depends".  More precisely, in the past I would have
> favored those who decline because the environment is unpleasant --
> with the implied assumption being that their objections are
> reasonable.  Given the emergency of cancel culture, that assumption
> is no longer automatically valid.

I concur on both counts.

You (the GCC project) are no longer in a situation where any random
person saying "your environment is hostile" is a reliable signal of a
real problem.  Safetyism is being gamed by outsiders for purposes that
are not yours and have nothing to do with shipping good code.

Complaints need to be discounted accordingly, to a degree that would
not have been required before the development of a self-reinforcing
culture of complaint and rage-mobbing around 2014.