On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 10:31 AM David Malcolm via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I still admire much of what RMS has written, and have spent much of my
> career trying to implement part of a vision inspired by him.  I'm sad
> about the way things have turned out.  Twitter seems to turn everything
> into a pitched battle between two camps.  I hope there's room for a
> nuanced view of him - the good and the less good.  I don't know what
> role he should have, but I think it should not be a leadership one, and
> I think the FSF and GNU need to greatly change to stay relevant,
> including on governance and on succession plans.  None of us are
> getting any younger, and the vision of the FSF and GNU seems to me to
> be stuck in the 1990s (or earlier).

Thanks, that is well put.  That describes my own feelings as well.

To be very blunt, I don't know how to read
https://www.fsf.org/news/rms-addresses-the-free-software-community and
think "the person who wrote this should be in a leadership role."  I
don't think RMS is a bad person.  I think that RMS can still have a
great deal to contribute to free software as a programmer and as a
philosopher.  But those are not the words of a leader.  Leadership is
about people: understanding what people need, understanding how to
motivate them toward a shared goal.  What I see in that essay is
somebody who doesn't understand people very well, and is not all that
interested in learning.

Ian