On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Chris Punches via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Every single proponent of this argument that I have seen so far is
> employed by one of the same 5 companies and "really isn't doing it on
> behalf of my company I swear".
>
> Why is it almost exclusively that specific crowd saying it here, then?

For better or for worse, since the early '90s the majority of people
who do serious work on GCC have been hired by companies that want to
do serious work on GCC.  After all, it's a win-win: the company gets
work done, the GCC programmer gets well paid.  The effect is that most
of the major GCC contributors work for a relatively small number of
companies.  There are of course many exceptions, but that is the
general rule.

Ian