Kalamatee <kalama...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 11:05, Kalamatee <kalama...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 10:42, Iain Sandoe via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

It is already a considerable leap for many engineers to post code for public
review; it is essential (IMO) that review of code is carried out on a fair
and
technical basis without personal attack or harrassment (or unwelcome
unrelated
attention).

“Grow a thicker skin” is an appalling advertising slogan.

I just want to clarify - i am not posting these things to be a "troll" or awkward, but as someone that uses "your" toolchain, because we depend on it to build "our" operating system, and the actions (and inactions!) on this list are a bit disturbing when taken in context of the whole thread.

I have a massive amount of respect for the people involved in developing gcc (which is far beyond my capabilities, of just developing patches to support the OS I contribute to), but I still have a vested interest in what happens because of the actions here - as do many corporate, commercial and academic institutes that invest money and time on "your" toolchain - so to exclude everyone except a group of people who have built a rapport in discussions that affect us feels a bit offensive to be honest.

I am saddened by the prospect that there might be no consensus available here.

----

This thread has become so intertwined with different discussions it seems that people are mistaking who has said what.

For the record (on-one needs to take my word for it, the list is archived).

* I am not being paid to work on GCC, I have been once (some time ago now) - however almost all my input is voluntary over the 12 years or so since I made my first commit.

* I have not:

  expressed any opinion re RMS
  expressed any opinion re FSF or the desirability of a fork

  said that people need to agree (technically or procedurally)
  required people to have rapport (I doubt that there is as much as folks
think).

I have said:

  if people are not willing to resolve differences in a civilised manner, that
perhaps indicates that they have no interest in resolving anything.  This does
not seem contrary to general GNU guidelines either:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.en.html

  I am not willing to spend my spare time working in a hostile environment.

well, I did post in good faith,
Iain